Monday, June 13, 2005

Wobbly Knees

I am feeling the 509 little steps that I hiked in the Cologne Cathedral the other day. This morning I woke up and walked around Brussels--much better the second time around. I found the train and took it to Paris. Upon arrival, I attempted to call my friend who was to meet me, but I couldn't get the phone to work. By this time, the 40 lbs on my back and wobbly knees from the cathedral were starting to get to me. Several people helped, and one guy even let me use his phone card. No luck. I am standing in the middle of Gare du Nord, wondering how I am supposed to get to a place that I have no address for and no phone to contact. I found two sweet Americans who let me use their cell phone to call. My friend had already been to pick me up that day, but missed me because our communication over e-mail hadn't gone through. Grrr! She started to tell me how to get to her house (which is very complicated) and the more she talked, the weepier my eyes got. By this time, my legs were about to give out. When she heard me starting to sob (I have been very emotional these few days, I know :P), she said for me to take a certain train and sit there while she came to get me.

The American girls gave me a subway card and a little map that they had marked where I needed to go. Somehow I seem to lose all sense of adventure and ability to focus with that bag on my back. Because as soon as it comes off, I am fearless! But I managed to find my friend (rather, she found me) and we hiked back to her house from the train--about 20 minutes walking. We rested for a few minutes and set out again for a Bible study. It was cool to see the work she is doing here. I would say well worth the sweat and tears!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie!!! I am finally getting a chance to catch up with you...wow you have had quite a trip. I will be praying for you, that you will find extra strength for that bag, that you will not get lost again, and that your spirit of christ and adventures will over come all obstacles. I love you girl and know that this past friday was hard on you, so I will also be praying that God will fill you with some extra peace and feeling of being loved. So your done with Germany, and now in Paris!!! I promise to keep up with you a little bit better over the summer. I have lots to share with you when we both get back to Denton.

Anonymous said...

Katie!! I have really enjoyed reading about your travels and adventures in Europe. I think I am living vicariously through you!! heehee. I know that things will get better for you once you get your bearings! I so admire you for doing all of this and I can't wait to hear more about it!

Anonymous said...

WOW! You are like the bravest girl I know. I don't think I would have ever made it past the guy trying to look at my watch and cussing. You are amazing. Bryan and I will be lifting you up.

Sarah Blaskowsky

Anonymous said...

katie- ahhh! what craziness! glad you made it to paris safely and i'm relieved that you have a friend to be with at this point during your trip. you're gonna be a buff mama by the time you come home. i better get going on that yoga and pilates! :)
i love you and i'm praying for you.
love,
debi