Saturday, September 23, 2006

Leagues

The topic of "Leagues" came up in my homegroup the other night and I thought it was super interesting. I have always wondered what boys think about a girl "being out of their league" and vice versa, so I ask boys all the time what their thoughts are on it. I guess I am just surprised how many people think they could never date someone because they are "out of their league".

I guess I don't really agree...I never have. I'm not saying that people will always be attracted to everyone (that, I know for sure, is not true), but I think "leagues" have a lot more to do with confidence than attractiveness. Case in point: there are plenty of popular people who are unattractive to most (ex: Mick Jagger--yum, not!) and there are tons of loners who are beautiful.

So, before you go out and ask that Hawaiian tropic model for her number and then blame me for her turning you down ("Katie said that leagues don't matter!"), hear me out. Signals and chemistry are still a must--I just think that you shouldn't rule out ANYONE before you've met them because you assume they'd never like you--you might be surprised. We see ourselves from such a warped lens and not everyone is tuned to that same frequency...sometimes they see the you that you try to hide from the world or they feel super comfortable around your quirkiness.

Or maybe I'm just crazy and arrogant because I feel I'm just as good as anybody else and I don't see any person on this earth as out of my league....

Anyone brave enough to share thoughts on this? :P

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think "leagues" is the more socially acceptable way of confessing a lack of confidence to go after someone. It's like a subtle pointing of the finger. "I can't go after them, they are out of my league. Thus, they wouldn't like me. They will shun me." However, it's actually the person pulling the "league" card that is the first shunner. Shun not, yest ye be shunned. ha, ha

Katie B said...

I like those thoughts, Anonymous. I agree. I am not sure why your comment is not showing up in the "comments" section, but that is not because of anything I've done. :)

Anonymous said...

A different person writing here...

I have very often felt that certain people are way out of my league, but I agree that it has more to do with confidence than anything else. I completely and wholeheartedly agree with you, Katie, but I still struggle with the "out of my league" at times. God has been working on that in me in the past few years, and he is changing my mind.

I think the "league" thing is often used when people don't want to take the risk that a new relationship always brings. It could be that they do not want to be hurt like they have in the past, so the league mindset can work as a defense mechanism not to get hurt AGAIN. On the surface, it makes sense, but deep down it may reveal insecurity and an unwillingness to try something that could turn out to be exactly what God intends for your life.

Leagues are for baseball and bowling, not personal relationships.

Nice post, Katie. Bravo.